Saturday, June 18, 2011

Teide Observatory

Last night I spent my first night at the Teide Observatory on the Canary Islands. We are up so high here that you look down on the clouds. It is like another world, you are surrounded by clouds and telescopes. Being at this observatory it is so silent and you can see more stars and planets than any place I have ever been before. Very relaxing when you just stand outside and observe.
Yesterday before we did our night observation we hiked the Teide Volcano, and through the Teide national park. I was exhausted by the time dinner was over at 9 and we were about to observe. I ended up getting altitude sickness last night and falling asleep on the floor of the observatory around 2am. However before I fell asleep I saw the moon rise over a sea of clouds. Observed Saturn and a globular cluster(astronomer lingo)
Tonight we are observing again but so far we have only been able to observe Saturn and take pictures of constellations because of the wind(52 km per hour.) So we are on a short break and I am doing everything I can to stay awake and hope the wind dies down so we can go back to observing... fingers crossed.



No comments:

Post a Comment